Guest Post: Lucienne Diver on Love Triangles

Love triangles are hot.  Just ask Janet Evanovich or Laurell K. Hamilton or any number of great  and bestselling authors out there.  I’ll admit it, I’m a bit fan.  I eat them up with a spoon.

So, did I set out to write a love triangle into Bad Blood?  You bet your bippy.  Very hot Italian stallion cop with thick dark hair half-falling into his face, tan skin, meltingly intense blue eyes (think Russell Crowe back when we all still loved him) vs. Apollo, Greek god humanized by his loss of worship who had a flirtation with the adult film industry before moving into “legitimate” filmmaking and management—golden hair, Mediterranean blue (aqua) eyes, even deeper tan, sculpted everything (think Daniel Craig coming out of the water in Casino Royale).  Whew!  Hot flash.  Sorry.  Please forgive.

I thought I knew when I set out to write the Latter-Day Olympians series who my heroine, Tori, would end up with.  I did.  But my early favorite…let’s just say it’s not so clear-cut for me anymore.  Just like Tori, I’m drawn to both “men,” a much more dangerous proposition in the one case than the other.  (Do you remember your Greek mythology and what often happens to those who tarry with gods?  Turned into flowers, trees, monsters…corpses.)  As a writer, I’m not sure I should know exactly where things are going, because I need to share in my character’s angst to express it.  And, let’s be honest, I like to live a little vicariously, being an old (happily) married lady and all.

That’s the best thing about fiction—getting to experience the chills and thrills without suffering the actual slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.  (I may have stolen this last bit from Shakespeare.)  I prefer to keep my drama firmly in my fiction, but there the bigger the better.  Yeah, I know, that’s what she said.

Links for Bad Blood, first novel of the Latter-Day Olympians, releasing digitally tomorrow, June 28th!

Samhain Publishing

Lucienne Diver’s website

7 comments for “Guest Post: Lucienne Diver on Love Triangles

1. June 27, 2011 at 1:17 am

Thanks PJ for hosting Lucienne today. Mmm…love triangles! Can’t wait to give Bad Blood a read. ;)

2. June 27, 2011 at 8:21 am

Love triangles keep the work exciting. Changing pov to give each character their turn to tell their story can overwhelm some people but others can really get into it. What are your thoughts on how to balance it?

Johnny (Sir John) Ray

3. June 27, 2011 at 9:18 am

I hope you’ll enjoy it! The novel was so much fun to write.

4. June 27, 2011 at 11:22 am

hmmm *hot flashes galore* Love triangles and hotties like that…. SOLD! This one sounds like a winner!

5. June 27, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Hey, Johnny, actually, Bad Blood is all first person, so I kept it to one point of view (my heroine’s). She’s so busy trying to solve a crime and stay alive at the same time, that she doesn’t have a lot of time to dwell on the situations she finds herself in, except in the moments when she’s in those situations. At that point, the problems and temptations are =very= immediate.

6. June 27, 2011 at 4:24 pm

JoAnne, I was going to say from your lips to God’s ears, but several of my characters from Bad Blood might have problems with my use of the singular.

7. June 28, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Hi Lucienne!! So pleased to meet another ‘happily’ married woman. I’m with you, fiction gives us the best of everything, a world to play and splash around in.
    I’m so happy for your success and wish you many more love triangles to write about in future. :)

PJ, great post and thanks for sharing it. :)

Comments are closed.